[Stoves] Maasai stove and Chimney

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 11:14:33 CST 2012

Perfect.

Is there a preferred fuel(s)?
What is the preferred height of the top of the pot from the floor, and
height to the cooking surface, if that is relevant?

Thanks
Crispin

Our fire box is metal, (parts we manufacture from 2mm sheet steel)brick, and
fire resistant mortar.
The internal chimney is up the wall.  (Maasai women installation teams make
the chimney and install everything.) The chimney is brick made in the
village, and mud mortar as long as inside.  26 cm square.
We use cement and sand mortar where it penetrates the thatch and becomes
exposed to weather.  Above the thatch we can safely use a metal tube we make
ourselves out of thin sheet that would be inappropiate inside.  The chimney
inside is at most pleasantly warm. Kids can sit right next to mom while she
cooks. The women usually cover the chimney with mud to match the walls.
They love the cleanliness and the added floor space, having removed the
three stones.