[Stoves] Grates and chimneys

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 22:58:35 CST 2012

Dear Dan

In principle yes, but it is way easier to use some old engine oil, a diesel
injector and a fan. The main reason is control of the temperature. Being off
by 30 degrees can make a big difference, and we are talking about the 1540 C
range. I have seen overheated cast iron blow back out of the mould like a
volcano. Spectacular, and bright red!

I visited a guy in Ulaanbaatar who had a 500 kW induction furnace left over
from somewhere and he made all sorts of (low quality) products like cast
iron fencing and stove tops. He did not own a pyrometer, instead judging the
temperature by eye and experience. The problem was that he was the only guy
in the firm who could do that which means he had to be there for every pour,
day and night. You can imagine how difficult it was to get a consistent
stove part.

PS how's biz?

Build a charcoal cupola and start making crude sand castings. It really
cannot be that difficult. Iron age men made iron from rock. Modern men can
pour recycled iron from clay into sand molds.

    Dan Dimiduk