[Stoves] Grates and chimneys

Otto Formo formo-o at online.no
Wed Feb 8 12:06:52 CST 2012

Dear all,
Yes, nobody should clog their chimneys.
On the other hand, nobody should belive that stoves with chimneys are clean burning, any how.
A chimney will "only" make sure that we will have no more indoor polution, while outdoor polution in larger cities are a huge problem, related to insufficient combustion.

According to Paal, top lit fireplaces ,will have a very positive effect on outdoor polution too.

Fuel efficiency and clean burning, are more or less linked together. If you aim for a "very" clean burning stove, you will most likely have a fuel efficient stove, as well.
On the other hand, you have no "guarantee", that a fuel efficient stove are "very" clean burning.

Focusing on the new ISO standard Workshop for Clean burning and Efficient Cookstoves in Holland at the end of this month, we should stress on the clean burn in stoves and not so much at efficiency.
CO and PM are the most important issues, when it comes to indoor polution.

Otto
Still a TLUD ND gasifier fan.......without a fan.....