[Stoves] Re straw as fuel for TLUD-ND

Paal wendelbo paaw at online.no
Fri Feb 10 04:42:20 CST 2012

Dear Corey and all

I will rather call it straw than grass. The combustion system with straw as fuel was used as household energy in a refugee camp in North of Uganda in 1995. The Latin name I was told was Hyperrernia Rufa and it was the straw used for roofing. The bundles cut and transported by women was about 25 kg. The soft part of the straw was cleaned of and the remaining straw was cut in the right length 8” and tight up with a sisal-string into bundles of about ½ a kg.

            I was working with handy-caped people that time and a lame man with strong arms was cutting the straw with a machete and a blind man was putting the cut straw into a form of bricks, which made it possible to produce the right size, tied up the sisal, that was all.

The sisal string was taken off while the bundle was put into the Peko Pe and easy ignited with some soft straw on top. Burning with clear flame with high temperature for about 25 minutes for fast boiling and then due to the fact the glowing straw did not collapse and the water continue boiling for another 25 minutes from the glowing. Different types of reeds and papyrus were used with same result. The system was used for cooking, frying, baking bread and griddle.

            We used papyrus with very high flame temperature for melting scrap aluminium to mould pots and small blacksmithing from the glowing.

            The charcoal business did not like the system of competition reasons.

For more information paaw at online.no

 Regards Paal W