[Stoves] the role of motivation in efficient cooking

rbtvl at aol.com rbtvl at aol.com
Tue Feb 14 06:59:02 CST 2012

Dear all,

In the Maasai Stoves and Solar project we were talking to women about
how our stove is doing.   Was it saving them wood and labor?  To have
efficient cooking, you do have to have a good stove design and I think
we do.   We must have a chimney because of Maasai style houses and
indoor cooking, but we do keep the burning gases and burning smoke
circulating near the cook pot before they find their way to the chimney
in the draft.   So we have designed for efficiency and not just smoke
removal.

But it was interesting that more than  one woman said.  "I use one
third as much wood, because when I cooked with three stones I stuck in
three pieces, but with my ICSEE stove I only need to stick in one."
She is getting a prompt from simple geometry to use one branch instead
of three.   This would not work if one branch failed to cook her food.
But there is something here beyond stove design.

It came to my mind that she could have probably cooked more efficiently
with three stones if she had just had the mind to try.  But three
stones and her habits probably kept her burning more wood than she
needed, and maybe even as much as she had.

I mention all this to remind us to keep in mind it is a person doing
the cooking, and not a measuring instrument, and we have to work with
the people to maximize the good impact of all our engineering, fund
raising, and distributing.   They have to become colleagues in
efficiency engineering, since the final step in a cooker, the cook, is
a part of the system.

bob lange, the ICSEE Maasai Stoves and Solar Project.
www.maasaistovessolar.org