[Stoves] Grates and chimneys

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 21:59:37 CST 2012

Thanks Andrew

What you are pointing out, and this valuable advice, is that a stove should
be designed for a fuel with a known moisture content. That wood I mentioned
won't burn on its own in an open fire (so I am told) and in ideal
circumstances could be.

BTW that is a remarkably high MC for spruce. Wow. We never see that. Is it
from a swamp??

++++++++

This is about the mc of fresh spruce or poplar in UK, it will burn poorly in
a typical wood stove but an industrial wood burner with some heat feedback
can burn it cleanly. I think there's enough energy in the dry fuel that
suggest it should be possible to burn material up to
80+%mc, though of course ill advised and wasteful. Air drying is
probably the best use of solar energy we can make.

AJH