[Stoves] Grates and chimneys

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 06:30:37 CST 2012

OK, not I understand.  DWB moisture, as Tomnoted.
Thanks
Crispin

+++++++++

Taking figures from "the forest mensuration handbook" of about 1975 vintage
grand fir at 200%mc dwb is the highest and by my calculation that's only 30%
dry matter on a wwb. Sitka is 164% and Norway spruce 183%. Poplar figure is
from memory when we tested our commercial dryer. Figures for fresh whole
tree chips are worse in evergreens because the needles have a higher mc. We
often have trouble meeting the 45% mc wwb requirement for whole tree pine
chips delivered to a power station.

I have a woodchip stoker designed to run on joinery waste and that's nigh on
impossible to get hot enough to burn fresh woodchip cleanly, I'm working on
that.

AJH