[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves?

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 23 20:22:42 CST 2012

Ronal and all,  ( I do not know if other Listservs should be sent a copy.)

Great topic.  I have a little different twist to it.

TLUD stoves do much better when fuel is dry (under 20% MC, and better
if under 10%, but that often is not common.).  So, in hot humid
places, finding fuel that is sufficiently dry can be a real challenge.

So, I and others are seeking ways to dry the moist fuels, including
recently cut green wood.  The key idea is to somehow utilize the
"waste" heat of the TLUD cookstoves (that is the heat where it is
AFTER passing the pot.)

I really like Ron's barrels rolling on an slight incline.  Nothing
better than having gravity do much of the work.  So, count me in on
any discussions of mechanisms for drying fuels.  I am designing some
other ways that we can also discuss later.  I think that the drums
would need to be well perforated to allow the moisture and other gases
to escape easily.  Otherwise, it is just steaming itself.

About torrification.  I am not very interested in heating the biomass
that much.  After all, if it is going to be pyrolyzed later (and I am
thinking of inside of TLUDs large and small where the issue is fuel
dryness), the degree of heat treatment does not need to be very much.
By "degree", I mean "the extent of" and also "the upper temperature of".

Can someone please provide a "sub-classifications of torrification" summary?
What is "torrified" to one person might not be the same as to another person.

"Drying" is also subject to "degrees"
Dried to less than 10% MC might be at only 90 deg C.
Seriously dried at 110 to 120 C is probably "kiln dried"
 From 150 to perhaps 220 C we start driving off other "substances"
besides water.

And somewhere (temperature wise) we obtain combustible gases and are
entering into the realms of pyrolysis.

Because of my interest in "dry" which is at far lower temperatures
than "torrified", I have no concerns about the mainly-water-vapor ever
catching on fire.  And if a few chips really get hot and are blackened
(becoming torrified?), they are still overwhelmed with the much larger
quantities of biomass nearby inside the barrel or in some chute.

So, I raise the question:  Why go all the way to torrification unless
significant transportation or shape modifications are in the next steps?

If the objective is biochar and if the pyrolysis process is TLUD (and
perhaps others as well), why not just make the fuels "dry"???

Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:    Dr TLUD      Doc      Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf (excellent ref.)
My website specific for TLUD information: www.drtlud.com  =  www.DrTLUD.com