[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves?

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Fri Feb 24 19:58:51 CST 2012

Crispin,

Some types of biomass are highly hygroscopic.
Torrefaction renders them hydrophobic.
Some types of biomass are not uniform in grain size and should be
pelletized.
Torrefaction greatly reduces the amount of power needed for pelletizing.
Pelletizing increases bulk density and reduces transport costs.
Torrefaction can produce valuable by-products such as acetic acid.

Imagine the possibility of the torrefaction of wheat straw leading to the
production of a wheat straw pellet.
We would then have a beautiful, uniform, dense, dust-free, hydrophobic, dry
pellet
 that could be used as gasifier fuel in kitchens throughout the USA.
Gasifier technology should not be just for poor people in developing
countries.

*No one, rich or poor, should rely exclusively on fossil fuels to cook food
or heat water,*
 as I say in the conclusion of my essay on gasification: *
http://esrla.com/pdf/landfill_06.pdf*
The availability of top-quality pellets could make this happen a lot more
easily.

Fresh rice hull and the coffee bean husks are some of the few forms of
biomass that gasify well in their raw state.
Just about everything else has to be prepared to some extent.

No one tries to burn crude oil in its raw state.
Oil companies have to prepare it, and they do so quite extensively.
Likewise we need to do the same with many forms of biomass.
Torrefaction could play a big role in the preparation of gasifier fuels.

Paul

--
Paul A. Olivier PhD
27C Pham Hong Thai Street