[Stoves] Is there a role for combining torrefaction and char-making stoves? HM

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Sat Feb 25 12:30:43 CST 2012

Stovers,

There is a test method from the Pellet Fuels Institute that measures the
durability of pellets. Called the Pellet Durability Index. I now have that
equipment because I want to determine if that will be a useful test I can
use for biochars.  For an experiment I can take some pellets and torrefy
them at a specified temperature and compare their durability (before and
after) might be some useful info. But better is to make pellets from the
torrefied wood because if I do it on the pre-made wood pellets the wood will
change shape and likely give different results.

Also; The equipment used in the test designed at Kanas State University is a
very strange piece of equipment IMO. Not sure how they came up with the
design that has a partial stop on one side of the chamber (?!?) when
tumbling the pellets.  Perhaps someone knows of another test procedure?

Regards
Frank

Frank Shields
42 Hangar Way