[Stoves] Drying fuels in the homes (was about Torrefication Re: Along the apparent "ambient humidity dry" -bone dry- torrefation- pyrolsis-char continuum

Paul S. Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 26 16:52:42 CST 2012

Stovers,

I have changed the Subject line so that this thread is about fuel
DRYING, specifically inside the homes.

The prior discussion has removed from me any interest in actual
torrefication of fuels destined for TLUD usage.

Also, "oven-dried" is NOT the same as "torrefied" (which is higher
temperatures such as 250 C and above.)

And "oven-dried" is NOT the same as "baked" (like what happens to a
cake or bread which, if not removed, can be blackened especially on
the outside while the inside can still be moist.)

"Oven-dried" means "dry", as in minimal moisture, MC =  0 to maybe 3
percent.  But does not require baking the heck out of it.

I especially like Richard Stanley's comment about naturally dried briquettes,

> Then if desired, drying them alongside the heated stove wall at
> temps up to  about 80--100 ºC  for 10 to 20 minutes will then drive
> off the aromas without smoke still retaining the more carbon dense
> material in tack but now bone dry.

In my opinion, this should NOT be called "pre-torrefication" because
that implies that torrefication is an objective, which is not the case.

> <SNIP and edits>   Eucalyptus for fending off mossies, neem leaves
> for congestion in the chest etc etc--as you desire).

> <What PSA snipped> It then ignites with a bare minimum of smoke in the stove.

The sentence order here is important.  I was always thinking the
burning of the briquettes (such as with eucalyptus or neem) was giving
the desired impact into the room.  Now I think that it is the drying
process that needs to be developed.  Does Richard agree?  or can modify?

So, let's have a fuel dryer (some sort of rack that holds briquette
pieces) built around the housing where a TLUD stove is radiating some
heat outward from its outside cylinder.  As the briquettes are drying,
they are giving off the aroma and the medicinal benefits.