[Stoves] Calculation help

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:12:21 CST 2012

On Monday 09 January 2012 20:03:26 Frank Shields wrote:
> For the LHV calculation of methane;  I see wiki says the HHV is product
> of water in liquid form and LLV is product of water in vapor form -
> same way you calculate biomass. But, of course water is never in the
> liquid form (until it completely condenses at below 100c.). Hydrogen is
> held by carbon or then water vapor at the combustion temp. so I am
> surprised they calculate (estimate) it the way they do.

Frank, I may not have been paying enough attention to your posts and
haven't looked at the wiki page but it is as I understand it and I'd like
to see where you don't agree.

HHV is the heat released by the combustion including all the heat
realeased when hydrogen is oxidised to H2O and all the products of
combustion are referred back to an initial temperature ( so all the H2O
released as a gas is condensed and gives up its latent heat ( Enthalpy of
vaporisation).

LHV is the same but assumes all the H2O from the oxidation of hydrogen
remains as a vapour above its dew point.

With methane IIRC this amounts to a 6% difference in heats.

AJH