[Stoves] Heat / cook stove - proposed design

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:07:07 CST 2012

Dear Darren

>I could more easily lower the grate which would provide a bigger gap
between grate and bridge and allow for wood to fall through more easily,

That's is fine. It might have to go up a lot. Did you try using round wood
placed across the grate? (not cubes)

>.although I guess if this will also effect the heat output?

Don't see why. The heating power will be related to the rate of burn, that's
all.

>Also I guess a steeper grate angle will help.

It might. There are boilers with quite steep grates. I have seen one that
was L shaped. The fuel was dropped 'in front of the primary air supply' held
away from the holes by the sort of vertical part of the grate, then a more
horizontal part of the grate sloped down towards the combustion chamber. The
point is to have a decent fire burning at the bottom of the hopper without
getting the fire into the hopper itself.