[Stoves] Inverted top lit updraught

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 06:34:28 CST 2012

On Sunday 15 January 2012 03:50:48 rongretlarson at comcast.net wrote:

> [...]

We haven't had quite the discussion I had hoped for about comparing
conventional down draught with inverted down draught and I'll try and add
a few thoughts below but first the dasifier:

http://www.cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/EMGroups/WasteWatts/DASIFIER.htm

I have been fascinated by this device since it was first described because
of the apparently high temperatures that can be achieved[1]. I hope
everyone understands the principle of the device, it uses a small
compressor which injects high pressure air into the tube between the
gasifier and the burner, this compressor is a luxury that most people
wouldn't consider for a stove and the ejection it forces is lossy
compared with a mechanical fan moving the same amount of air. Its
advantage is not having moving parts in a hot dirty environment. This air
is directed  such that it acts as an ejector forming a depression on the
gasifier side and entrains 3 other air streams. The largest amount is the
secondary air that oxidises the offgases from the gasifier sections to
form the flame that can melt bronze in the furnace section.

Its the dual gasifier part that is relevant to my earlier questions.

The fuel falls through the upper section under gravity and air is sucked
by the depression at the ejector down with, and through, the fuel where
it is pyrolysed and gasified at the throat at the bottom of the chamber.
This throat is crucial to DD gasifiers as it allows for the gradual
shrinkage of the chunks of wood as they descent into the first oxidation
zone and gradually shrink. This zone has to be hot enough to cause any
CO2 to be reduced to CO when it meets hot char, the gases leaving this
zone should be mostly nitrogen from the primary air and CO and Hydrogen.

Most DD gasifiers would add sufficient air at this stage ( often by
blowing through pipes ( tuyeres) into the throat region) to gasify all
the char so only ash falls below the throat. The design and configuration
of this section is what bugs most wood gasifiers.

If we invert this top its action is what forms a tlud and if the primary
air is delivered such that it is just sufficient to heat the pyrolysis
zone then pyrolysis offgas is driven off, a small amount of char is burnt
in the process, if the fuel is dry, and a char residue remains. The
essential difference in the first half of the dasifier is the fuel moves
down to the pyrolisis area and in the char making tlud the pyrolysis
front moves down through the fuel I think the off gas composition should
be about the same, given the same limited primary air.

If so then the particulates from the secondary flame should be about the
same with primary air controlled TLUD or Down Draught. The DD offers
continuous refueling and as long as the air path is not constricted by
extra fuel then emissions should be constant and the cooking surface
convenient, the TLUD suffers from limited means to refuel ( or does
it ? ;-)) and  it has a height problem.

With a conventional DD the char is all consumed and only charry ash falls
through the grate but Aqua Das doesn't attempt to gasifiy the char at the
throat using the stratified approach of all the primary air descending
through the fuel or adding air via tuyeres, he allows the char to fall
into a second gasifier that is a simple updraught char gasifier, this
needs again to operate at high temperature, the third part of the
entrained air is sucked up into the hot char, turns to CO2 and reaches a
high temperature before it is reduced to CO in the hot char and low
oxygen environment. The output from this is mostly CO and N2. the two
offgas streams ( N2 H2 and CO from the downdraught section and N2 and CO
from the updraught section) combine in the area below the throat and exit
the gasifier via the tube with the ejector. In practice not all the wood
is perfectly gasified and there will be steam, methane CO2 and tars going
to the burner.

Mass flow considerations mean that all the heat released in the gasifier
and the heat from the secondary flame less losses to the gasifier walls
will be distributed in the flame  and thence the flue gases and it looks
like Aqua Das gets above the melting point of bronze, say 1000C. The
flame must be much higher than this to allow for heat transfer and
losses. In fact I think with dry wood about 1600C is achievable but in
practice we know wood cannot melt iron ( 1500 C  and a bit lower for iron
with high carbon content).

One of the benefits of gasification is in reducing the need for excess air
necessary in a conventional fire. The gasification uses controlled
primary air to produce hot simple gases that will easily burn and if the
output is first cooled ( recycling the heat) then the combustion gases
can be premixed before the flame. I'm not sure what is happening in the
dasifier regarding pre mixing but I suspect the gases meet the secondary
air above their spontaneous ignition temperature and secondary combustion
starts before much premixing can occur, the ejector causes enough
turbulence to  keep everything mixed in the flame.

Add too much secondary air and the heat released in the flame has to be
spread over a larger mass flow and the temperature drops, the same
happens if the wood is wet, the water robs the flame temperature with
both its mass flow and its latent heat of vaporisation.

Getting back to my question and Alex's recent posting on that ingenious
method of inserting a burner into a conventianal stove without cutting
the body about; the problem with DD is that unprocessed wood does not
flow, the grate or throat areas need agitation. Which is why Alex uses
pellets ( an expensive, pre processed fuel) and I don't think the air
controlled DD to produce a clean flame can compete with TLUD without a
means to constantly remove char from the bottom.

That was too much finger bashing and probably too long to read but
thoughts anyone?

Further musings:

[1] it should be just about possible to melt steel with a wood flame if
the wood is perfectly dry, in practice it doesn't happen and iron was not
produced until charcoal was used, the reason is simple; whilst the
charcoal only has <50% of the heat of the raw wood it was produced from,
it is dry nearly pure carbon with about 30MJ per kg available to be
released on full oxidation. C+O2+4N2=>4N2+ CO2+30MJ heat per kg of C is a
low massflow reaction and heats of over 2000C are achievable.

Consider a propane torch flame, when premixed with the correct amount of
air the flame is two blue flames, a bright blue inner flame surrounded by
a paler blue enveloping flame, the hottest part is at the tip of the
inner cone where nearly all of the premixed oxygen is consumed burning
hydrogen and some carbon to H2O and CO/CO2, remaining CO is then burned
in the outer enveloping flame by oxygen that has survive the first flame
and oxygen that diffuses in from the surrounding air.

Can we consider doing something similar with the dasifier, using the high
mass flow ~1600C pyrolysis offgas flame to form a hot envelope around the
lower heat capacity but higher temperature CO+N2 flame? Without
destroying the burner pipe from the heat?

AJH