[Stoves] Inverted top lit updraught

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:19:39 CST 2012

Dear Peter

>I can't follow Andy's figures for the stoichiometric volumes.

Agreed. He says several things that are suspect.

>C2H2 + 2.5 O2 = 2CO2 + H2O eg 2.5 volumes oxygen for 1 volume of acetylene

>C3H8 + 5 O2 = 3 CO2 + 4 H2O eg 5 volumes of oxygen for 1 volume of propane

Agreed.

In use, propane for cutting has to be held for longer on the surface
preheating and the gap is more critical during the cut. It is because of the
high gas velocity entraining air (cooling). Restarting a cut that for some
reason was stopped requires far more preheating and tends to be messier and
the O2 central port needs to be opened more gradually to give the iron time
to ignite.

There is a way to make your own cutting torch using iron wire as the fuel!
The only gas is Oxygen. They used to use it in the 1920's. It is the
appropriate technology way to cut two a inch plate without gas! In the US I
think they would call it a Redneck Cutting Torch. Rooineke gassnyspruitstuk
in Suid Afrika. Ja. Maybe you would say rodenek snijbrander.