[Stoves] [biochar] Re: research on activated carbon for water filters for the victims of disasters

peter ongele peterongele at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 23:11:30 CST 2012

Dear All,
Its now over ten years, I've used charcoal, gravel and sand to filter water fit for consumption and this system has also been used to filter lake Victoria water for rearing anopheles mosquito at ICIPE. This has gone well without encountered problems and its cost effective, you can filter large amount of water for families in a short time, unlike SODIS which takes long time, needs enough sunshine. SODIS method would also require more containers  to make enough water for  families. We adopted the Biochar technology for filtering water from Tanzania.
PETER.