[Stoves] The upside of Down feed

Alex English english at kingston.net
Sun Jan 22 18:01:57 CST 2012

Dear Crispin,
The pellets are 6mm dia. 1-2.5 cm long. The hole is 5cm in diameter. I
tried a few chips to block the hole. It usually took more than one to
stop it, and put out the fire. There isn't much evidence of the fire
mving up into the hopper. The attached picture shows the position of
grate in relation to the hopper. It is adjustable. A mount of glowing
charred pellets form in the bottom half of the  tube (6.2 cm ID pipe)
out  in front of the grate. This seems to be self limiting, at least
over the five hours it ran today.

I ran it with a second hopper tube such that the air flowed outside the
inner 14cm diameter hopper (with lid) and inside the outer15.5cm
diameter hopper. The air has to pas through pellets in the cone portion
only.

Shutting off the grate air does reduce the burn rate by as much as half,
but that is a guess and I am unsure if it works  for hours.

but wood pellets are cheating...

next, a complete redesign for chips...

courting failure....
Alex