[Stoves] Camping and backpacking stoves

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 17 08:36:48 CDT 2012

On 06/28/2012 08:37 AM, Steve Taylor wrote:
> What's wrong with the Woodgas stove ? One of the problems perhaps with
> Tlud designs is they need to be circular, which makes folding tricky.
>
> Steve

Having seen a few circular backpacking stoves, I can tell you that when
well designed, the stove can be used to store and protect objects (like
a candle lantern with a glass chimney) which are circular in
themselves.  With good design, multiple circular objects can be nested
resulting in good packing efficiency.

Folding is of value only when the interior area is not utilized for
other purposes.

Is there a good reason that a TLUD can not be hexagonal or octagonal?
Hexagonal packs better, but either can be made to fold almost flat
(assuming normal hinging.)  Having multiple staggered hinges allows very
close to flat with only a small amount of non-flat overhang.

Dave  8{)

--
/"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look
at the men he has around him."/

/
NOTE TO ALL:

When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for
all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding
history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and
others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the
world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses
and viruses from being propagated. /

THANK YOU!