[Stoves] Improving Thermal Efficiency (TARP-VE)

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:40:35 CDT 2012

Hi Alex,

As you say, getting super clean results from a TLUD requires a prepared
fuel like good gas for a car. Tuning a TLUD or another type of stove is
straightforward under an emission hood including height of flame, air flow,
all the gas and smoke going into the flame, many  variables. We're starting
to write a book describing how to make Tier 4 stoves with "how-to"
descriptions of the designs: TLUD, Side Feed Fan, Tom Reed Fan, Natural
Draft Improved Mixing, etc. Lots of testing to do (one or two years). Great
to be bashing around in the brave new world of Super Clean. We owe a big
thanks to John Mitchell, Jacob Moss, Brenda Doroski for pushing forward
with the IWA.

Thanks Tom Reed/Ron Larson/Paul Anderson/Paal Wendelbo for starting the
technical revolution. In the lab Tier 4 is pretty easy for CO, very hard
for high power PM, and achievable with everything just right for thermal
efficiency (45%). Then into the field to see how well the stoves do in
reality!

Best,

Dean