[Stoves] Improving Thermal Efficiency (TARP-VE)

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Tue Jun 5 18:12:21 CDT 2012

Stovers
Perhaps I could have formulated my question better. I'm thinking if a source
of emissions has complex organic carbon (no matter what it is) there is
likely a chance of it forming a particle - somewhere. Where an emissions
having none (only CO2) will not be able to form any. If pm is going to form
its size and location is very site specific (fuel type, windows, building
design, stack, air temperature, humidity etc.). Therefore if we look for
particles in a lab and find none  it may be just the location and local
conditions where if we looked farther down the gas flow or on a cooler day
we may find the stove does very poorly. Then take the stove to a far-off
land with different fuel and all bets off. Seems a waste of time testing
unless the testing is done on site at head height. But testing for presence
of volatiles that can still oxidize in the gas stream leaving the stove
would cover all predictions as to if a stove has potential of being a
problem or not under any conditions. We need someone like Kevin to design
and build a piece of equipment to pull in gases, heat with oxygen and
determine CO2 before and after. Should be easy. : )

Frank

Frank Shields
Control Laboratories, Inc.
42 Hangar Way