[Stoves] Improving Thermal Efficiency (TARP-VE)

Alex English english at kingston.net
Thu Jun 7 20:27:42 CDT 2012

Crispin,
You have provided an interesting discussion of heat transfer and
buoyancy effects under a horizontal surface such as a pot bottom. I am
still struggling to come up with the right metaphorical imagery to go
with your description. Micro thunder heads bumping their anvils on the
pot. Anyhow, would it follow that a small rim extending down on the
outer edge of the pot bottom would prevent hottest gas molecules from
slipping up the side of the pot before it had given up its heat and
dropped low enough to pass under and around the rim edge. This is a bit
like trapping supper heated steam in an airless drier.
Certainly a flow restriction, but with the increased space you describe
in you example, a tolerable one?

Alex