[Stoves] Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves 2012 Update

Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves cookstoves at unfoundation.org
Fri Jun 15 17:06:49 CDT 2012

http://globalproblems-globalsolutions-files.org/cookstoves/images_update/par
tner_update_july11_r2_c1.jpg

In This Issue

*	Radha's Message
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=moNdRlAHoyocjp6j4G4c
vQ>
*	Rio+20: World Leaders Convene at UN Conference on Sustainable
Development
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=0KByNmw0HrML_YgOMMA-
3g>
*	Alliance Co-Hosts Clean Cookstoves Side-Event at World Health
Assembly
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=3kxJTvkkQUuLygHfvLRT
zw>
*	Alliance to Issue Request for Proposals on Climate
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=b5GDcD8Snyp0u6cbF1hd
og>
*	Alliance Shares Market Intelligence from 16 Countries
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=lWC9H9_-IG9GM3_Iwi9J
bA>
*	Cookstove Research on the Rise
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=bQ9ic3DLAAzFKH9ers1c
2g>
*	Alliance Jointly Hosts High Level Reception at Child Survival Summit
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=LHsoBF8BXCByLqv0seXm
bA>
*	Asian Development Bank Focuses on Clean Energy
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=Kjbp3CPVtqR_3WOtZJTg
cw>
*	Alliance Welcomes New Manager for Standards and Testing
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=7782koDspoQB-RyD5aun
ag>
*	Media Highlights
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=QJSxTpv7RMVnsyQkolgX

*	Partner
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=istPn1kkb6vd594fLWUF
yQ> 's Spotlight - Development Association for Rural Energies
*	New Partners
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=7TDaxxU3UO0Rzo5lQxNj
6Q>
*	Upcoming Events
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=77IFywW616Y6bp7cPHs1

Radha's Message

Dear Friends,

Radha Muthiah with Minister Hasan Mahmud at the Alliance Stakeholders
Strategic Planning Workshop

A few weeks ago I returned from Bangladesh where the Alliance, with the
support of Relief International, held its Stakeholder Consultation and
Strategic Planning Workshop. Once again we had a full house with over 100
participants representing the private sector, civil society, and various
agencies of the Government of Bangladesh. The Honorable Dr. Hasan Mahmud,
Minister for Environment and Forests, opened the workshop and welcomed us to
Bangladesh, a country where 30 million households still rely on solid fuels
to cook their daily meals and where women spend up to one third of their day
searching for fuel and preparing their meals.

Bangladesh is also one of the countries most affected by the impact of
climate change - prone to frequent flooding, cyclones, soil erosion, and
salt intrusion into farmed fields. As with the Alliance workshop in East
Africa, the main goals of the workshop were to elicit input from
participants on the Alliance Strategic Business Plan and identify concrete
actions on how to scale up clean cookstoves and fuels in Bangladesh. Donors
such as the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the U.S. Agency for
International Development, as well as partners like GIZ, Winrock, Grameen
Shakti, and SNV, are either already active in the clean cookstove sector and
fuels in Bangladesh or eager to scale up efforts. As a result of the
priorities identified during the Bangladesh workshop, the Alliance is
committed to generating public awareness around the clean cooking issue,
supporting testing labs, and providing financing and capacity building
assistance, including technology transfers from other countries.

One of our six value propositions is to advance standards and testing, and
this past month we welcomed Dr. Ranyee Chiang as the Alliance's new Senior
Technical Manager for Standards and Testing. Read more about our newest
Secretariat team member here
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=xQHch7C_qH1Ip5ZSpPlH
IQ> .

On June 13, the Alliance also participated in a roundtable dicussion on
development and diplomacy through partnerships, convened by the U.S.
Secretary of State's Global Partnership Initiative at the Center for
Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C.

Smoke from inefficient cookstoves is harmful to the health of women and
children. The leading cause of death among children under five in developing
countries is pneumonia, and cookstove smoke directly contributes to this
condition. Alongside USAID's Child Survival: Call to Action Summit held this
week in Washington, D.C. by the governments of the United States, India, and
Ethiopia, in collaboration with UNICEF. As part of the Alliance's commitment
to addressing child health, the Alliance hosted an evening reception. The
event brought together leaders and experts on child survival and clean
cooking solutions. See related article
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=AHRXaXFD38e3zx9753Yq
5Q>  on this global summit that took place in Washington DC.

By the time this newsletter comes out, we will be on our way to Rio de
Janeiro to attend the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development,
also known as Rio+20. Many of our partners will also attend this historic
event that is taking place twenty years after the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio,
where countries adopted Agenda 21 - a blueprint to rethink economic growth,
advance social equity and ensure environmental protection. Clean cookstoves
are part and parcel of the clean energy agenda of the 21st century and a
priority issue for developing countries. Read more
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=xkJ2gR-mY3zLbkMxvQ4T
fA>  about how we plan to seize this opportunity and further position the
Alliance and its mission at Rio+20.

The UN Conference in Rio also marks 10 years since the Partnership for Clean
Indoor Air (PCIA) was launched. During the past decade, PCIA has grown to
590 partner organizations working in 117 countries, with partners reporting
manufacturing and sales of more than 9.3 million improved cookstoves -
including 3.6 million in 2011. In 2010, a plan was set forth to integrate
the Partnership into the Alliance in order to achieve the goal of 100
million homes adopting clean cooking solutions by 2020. The integration is
now officially underway. The Alliance will continue to work closely with the
Environmental Protection Agency staff to ensure alignment of goals and the
establishment of a solid foundation to promote clean cooking solutions.

Lastly, be sure to read up on Clean Energy Week
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=GFY-e3JQyiOpR83wGKdI
4A>  at the Asian Development Bank and to check out the media highlights
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=5dEjtUzy20dF0dUK7kiy
GQ>  section, which includes a link to a CNN video clip
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=R-AytHJmQrRIm0MGBfmK
pw>  that features a solar cooker, originally developed by Solar Cooker
International for use in the refugee camps in northern Kenya.

Sincerely,

http://globalproblems-globalsolutions-files.org/cookstoves/images_update/ima
ges_update/radhasignature_final.jpg

Radha Muthiah, Executive Director

http://globalproblems-globalsolutions-files.org/cookstoves/images_update/par
tner_update_july11_r2_c3.jpg

http://globalproblems-globalsolutions-files.org/cookstoves/images_update/ima
ges_update/partner_update_july11_r3_c1.gif

Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves - C2012 United Nations Foundation
1800 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036

View this email in a browser
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=QqFK8iL_dTvt9EXx5u7i
Sg> .

http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/PixelServer?j=ULhHvVfJC3v
dVLCcUtOZEg

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.
<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/CO?i=NWmNdblBTQeNjbIJ5ou
C-WYaTrJBp5BC&cid=2062>

<http://www.globalproblems-globalsolutions.org/site/R?i=-JRXGESoe-jovcKxguAN
dw> Description: powered by CONVIO