[Stoves] Engineering view

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Sun Jun 24 16:51:21 CDT 2012

Let's start with the assumption that no one will build stoves at a loss
and create a sustainable enterprise.  This means that profit must occur
on each transaction.

I must assume that worker wages will need to be on a par with other work
in the area for equally skilled workers.  Given that $1.35 is all the
workers can afford for an improved stove, wages must be low.

Question #1: How much does an improved stove cost after ALL costs are
added in?

My guess is that when the governments figure out the stoves allow the
end users to save money, they will be taxed.  The NGO worker must be
paid in some way, if only for expenses like food.

Question #2: How much disposable income does the end user have?

My guess is that the research showing $1.35 may be too high, but let's
use that.

Question #3: How much short term savings will the stove generate?

If 25% less fuel is needed, it should cost 25% less.  If the fuel is
cheap enough, the savings will be too small for the end user to measure.

Question #4: How much (in dollars) will carbon credits bring in, where
will this money come from?

If the carbon credits bring in $0.65 and come from the end users, the
$1.35 shrinks by the cost of the carbon credits.  TANSTAAFL

Given this information, it is pretty easy to determine if the effort to
build stoves is sustainable.

Dave  8{)
--
/"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream

NOTE TO ALL:

When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for
all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding
history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and
others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the
world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses
and viruses from being propagated.

THANK YOU!