[Stoves] Activated carbon for mercury clean-up

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:05:13 CDT 2012

Thanks Josh for the update and link. It looks like an expanding field of
discovery.

FYI - at Univ. of Colorado-Boulder (USA) we have a consortium of scientists
and engineers studying "activated-carbon-type" applications of biochar (e.g.
generated from cookstoves, gasifiers, kilns, etc.).

We focus primarily on water quality and water treatment applications - e.g.
decentralized household and community water treatment systems, in-situ
permeable barriers for groundwater remediation, storm water runoff, etc. We
look mainly at sorption of synthetic organic compounds (e.g. pesticides,
pharmaceuticals, fuel compounds, etc.), and to a lesser extent metals and
inorganics (e.g. Hg is well sorbed as you indicate below....).

See a recent write-up by the IBI for more info and links:

http://www.biochar-international.org/profile/water_filtration

and feel free to contact me any time!

Josh