[Stoves] the 150 gasifier in operation in Vietnam

Paul Olivier paul.olivier at esrla.com
Sat Mar 3 17:16:58 CST 2012

Richard,

You said: *While you note, Paul that the domed screen prevents fine
particulates I wonder if it is not doing something much more than that by
way of heat transfer as well?*

It makes a big difference with regard to heat transfer.
Without the wire mesh dome, it would take more than 8 minutes to bring a
liter of water to a boil.
With the wire mesh dome, it takes less than 4 minutes.
So I suppose that wire mesh dome doubles the amount of heat that makes it
to a pot.

I would encourage all of you who design natural draft TLUDs to consider
putting a wire strainer over the burner.
On a reactor diameter of 150 mm, the radius of my wire mesh dome is 116 mm.
Also I would recommend that the dome fit snugly over the burner.
Do not allow outside air to flow freely underneath the dome.
Air will enter through the wire mesh of the dome.

If you have a housing around the reactor,
 let the housing provide the main feed of air to the dome.
If the wire mesh has small openings,
 the dome will restrain the flow of air coming from the housing.

Note also that the dome shields the flame from wind.
Wind does not disturb the flame in any way.

All flames should be on the inside the dome.
If flames appear on the outside of the dome, the dome no longer emits
radiant energy as it should.

Thanks.
Paul

Thanks.