[Stoves] the 150 gasifier in operation in Vietnam

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 04:01:22 CST 2012

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 03:06:26 +0100, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> When you are in a room you want to heat, it is not as pleasant for the user to have the hot gases rise to the top of the room and the cold remain on the floor. If you use a radiant heater, the heat is directed outward near the floor giving the impression it ‘gives more heat’ because you feel warmer, even though the total energy in the same.

Yes this is why I like wet underfloor heating, it's a fact that people
feel more comfortable when their feet are warmer than their heads, so
they feel more comfortable at a lower temperature if the heat is
rising from the floor. Romans used it with flue gases directly, Ronal
and I went to see the ruin of a bath house with a hypocaust in 2008.
Lower temperature equates to lower energy use. Also there is also a
self regulating effect in that with water near blood heat the
temperature difference that drives the heat transfer is low, as the
room heats up it gets lower and so less heat is transferred. It's most
suitable for rooms in constant occupation.

When we first imported pellet stoves from north america I was amazed
that the fan outlet was at the top of the stove. I felt it should be
directed in narrow slits at floor level, to take advantage of the way
a fluid will cling to a surface (Coanda effect) and then rise.

AJH