[Stoves] the 150 gasifier in operation in Vietnam

Steve Taylor steve at thetaylorfamily.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 06:45:42 CST 2012

On 4 March 2012 10:50, Paul Olivier <paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:

> I wonder how
>> this sits compared with the wire gauze in a Davey Safety lamp, which
>> is there specifically to remove the source of ignition from the gases
>> outside?
>>

> Again, I do not understand your point.
> Please clarify.
> So sorry

Paul,
A classic demonstration of the effects of a metal gauze on combustion gases
is shown in first year senior school in the UK at least. A gauze is placed
over an unlit bunsen burner and then the gas emitted through the gauze is
lit. Likewise, you can show that you can light the gas beneath the gauze,
and have no flame above it.

As Andrew comments, this was the basis of the "Davy Lamp" in mine for over
150 years.

Steve