[Stoves] Drying fuels in the homes (was about Torrefication Re: Along the apparent "ambient humidity dry" -bone dry- torrefation- pyrolsis-char continuum

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Mar 6 09:05:30 CST 2012

Crispin, Sorry for the late reply on this one, (re breaking up a briquette to speed up ignition  with rough edges) ...
Agreed,  it will speed ignition but for the producer seller promoting it as a product that you just break apart to ignite, is like serving a fine wine in a beer glass. It works but you lose the real aromas.   (lousy analogy, esp.,  if its a white wine ) but you get my point.
Apart from that, breaking up the bq deconstructs the value of the hollow core and the heat is no longer being concentrated in the center of the mass, as would tend to be the case with a conical shaped top surface.
All this matters little,  with either large stoves or even small well insulated ones or any fire where rapid clean ignition is not at a premium for heat but for the rest of the 90% of the cooks using solid fuels, out there,  it makes a huge difference. Pays your money and takes your chances...
The conical quest continues collaboratively...
Richard Stanley

Sent from my iPhone