[Stoves] Radiant Dome

John Davies jmdavies at telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 8 01:56:41 CST 2012

Greetings,

Have a few minutes, and will continue:

I have a book from the 1920's which gives the detail of "flameless
combustion" in immersed boiler tubes.  Each tube has a burner jet giving gas
and air in stoichiometric ratio into the tube. The tube is filled with
ceramic stones ( maybe pumice ? )  According to the account the stones glow
red hot, and the combustion is 100% complete.

The original account of the wire mesh dome, brought this account to mind,
thinking that the same conditions have been met, and that the heat source is
concentrated below the pot, with very close to complete combustion.

If this is true ?  Then it is easy to understand why the water boiled in
half the time.

I have often wondered how the ceramic pebble bed could be incorporated into
a stove. As the ceramic is in pieces,( including the brick arch ) cracking
should not be a problem. The dome shape would enable a perforated brick arch
construction, supported from the sides, where the heat would not be burning
metal. A layer of ceramic pebbles above the arch would complete the buff
body effect, and the heat can be concentrated in the centre away from the
removable Metal tube holding it all together.

Will try it one day when time permits.

Regards,

John