[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

rongretlarson at comcast.net rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 17:52:15 CST 2012

Paul:

All correct below about water boiling timing - if the rice hull characteristics (size, density, etc), their height in the stove body, and the fan types and speeds are identical. You will have a better story if the test can be repeated on the same day, with and without a strainer. If necessary, buy a second one, and snip out all the "strainer" material from the frame. This last as a joke - but there should be a way to get a more guaranteed comparison of the impact of radiation (where you are using just a stop-watch).

Is there any chance that the strainer either causes a faster or slower burn (higher or lower power out?) You need to time the duration of the same fuel loading to completion I guess - as another part of the test. Along with all the usual weights, etc.

Presumably the impact of a lid will make a difference in the times - but not the ratio of times.

If you can prove twice the power level to the cook pot, that will be amazing.

Ron