[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 16:51:59 CDT 2012

[Default] On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:38:02 +0700,Paul Olivier
<paul.olivier at esrla.com> wrote:

>I took three sets of temperature readings with and without the dome.
>
>                  With     Without
>Reading 1 -  500 C    563 C
>Reading 2  - 473 C    578 C
>Reading 3 -  470 C    571 C
>
>All measurements were taken at the same height above the burner.
>With the dome, the probe remained its normal color.
>Without the dome, the probe got red hot.

The difference is sizable, is there anyway you can measure the
temperature just under the dome?

Is the fan setting the same in both cases? If so it does look like the
heat being radiated by the dome is the difference between the gas
temperatures. As I said before the bare thermocouple will be under
reading compared with one in a tube as Alex suggested.

AJH