[Stoves] radiant heat capture, total heat measurement

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Mar 14 21:26:11 CDT 2012

Alex, Paul,

One option is to use a suction pyrometer in which you pull the hot gas past
the thermocouple in a tube. The tube limits the radiation so you get a
better picture of the true temperature. Temperatures can be about 90C (200F)
higher in the suction pyrometer than in a boiler or free air. A simple
version can be made with compressed air venture drawing air through a pipe
with a thermocouple inside it.

Tom