[Stoves] Radiation Analysis for Gasifier

Marc Pare mpare at gatech.edu
Sat Mar 17 07:30:50 CDT 2012

Hi all,

First a short story, then a presentation of some analysis I've been working
on the last week (with the help of Crispin and Matt Redmond). You can skip
the story, if you like.

*the story*
My friend Isaac from Tech tells of his most traumatic experience training
to be an engineer: "We were giving a presentation on a design of a hybrid
vehicle. The professor asks us why we choose one particular motor over
another. 'Oh, it was bigger, so we figured it would be better.' The
professor stopped them there. Stood up, turned to the class, and yelled:
"ENGINEERS QUANTIFY!"

*the results*
In the spirit of Isaac's legendary professor, I sought to provide some
clarity to the speculation of radiative heat transfer and improved cook
stoves by doing some simple analysis.

The setup was simple: what is the theoretical upper bound on contribution
to heat transfer by the "dome-shaped emitter" described over the last week.

It turns out that *the dome-shaped emitter has negligible impact on the
heat transfer*. Further testing supported this conclusion, but I figured it
was worth showing how we were able to show with theory that the dome-shaped
thing was not important.

The results place the upper bound on power from the emitter at *0.301 kW *vs.
the power required to boil water at *1.65 kW*.
This means that even at 100% efficiency, the emitter will only improve your
thermal performance by about 20%. (not the reported 100% improvement)

I attached a pdf explaining the theory and a spreadsheet of the
calculation. You can also get them here:
http://notwandering.com/radiation.php

*thanks*
Matt Redmond for a first pass on the spreadsheet
Crispin for quadruple-checking the spreadsheet and adding improved water
boiling numbers

feedback is welcome. there is always the chance that there are mistakes!

Best,

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne

my cv, etc. | http://notwandering.com