[Stoves] air velocity

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 04:41:06 CDT 2012

Dear Sarbagya

Further to Marc’s link, there is a draft calculator on the website of this
list which allows you to ‘burn’ biofuels with a known composition and excess
air. If you put a chimney dimension in as well, it will calculate the
velocity for you and also the draft. You can add fuel moisture and a burn
rate to make it at least a starting point for thinking about shapes. It
assumes perfect combustion because it is theoretical.

You might check out this page to get you started on a theoretical estimate:

http://www.cookstove.net/comb-chamb-design/air-supply.html

It focuses on the stove types you just mentioned.

(I can't speak for cookstove.net's accuracy, but it will at least get you
started)

For our back-of-the-enveloped calculations, we would use a combination of
stack effect <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_effect> , stoichiometric
air requirement, and excess air. Worked well enough for our purposes (design
by negative selection), but won't be enough for quantitiative modeling.

Marc Paré
B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology | Université de Technologie de Compiègne