[Stoves] GEC

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:52:14 CDT 2012

Dear Friends

Richard Stanley's Legacy Foundation gets a mention by Chad Lipton in a
recent announcement about the Global Energy Challenge. Chad runs a section
of National Geographic that has about 6 prizes per year relating to energy.
He is based in Washington. I included his email address below as he invites

You can see more on the first link below but I was unable to find a specific
reference to the Legacy Foundation there.

Congratulations on your recognition, Richard!

++++++

EnergyInitiative, NG energyinitiative at ngs.org (Chad Lipton)

We're pleased to share this update on National Geographic's Energy
Initiative, The Great Energy Challenge (GEC). Our online hub highlights the
progress we have made to educate and engage the larger community on today's
energy challenges. http://greatenergychallenge.com/

The GEC has funded its next three grant agreements.

Frontier Markets is bringing clean energy products and services to rural
households in India by creating solar mobile charging kiosks placed in key
areas to engage thousands of rural households. The kiosks offer access to
viable products for households to save money, earn income, and improve their
standard of living.

http://www.frontiermkts.com/

EGG-energy packages electricity in a set of small, rechargeable and fully
recyclable batteries that are rented to customers for an annual membership
fee. Each battery meets customers' needs for approximately 5 nights, saves
them over 50% on yearly non-heat energy expenditures, and eliminates the
need to use kerosene for lighting. EGG-Energy provides clients in Tanzania
with basic appliances, and the installation of their home electric system.

http://egg-energy.com/

Legacy Foundation is combatting deforestation in Guatemala by helping to
substitute fuel wood and charcoal consumption with hollow core biomass
briquettes. The project will establish a self-sustaining, income-generating
network of biomass briquette producers, trainers and equipment suppliers in
Guatemala. Due to technical simplicity and economic viability, fuel
briquettes are likely to outcompete existing fuel wood supply, which
accounts for more than half of Guatemala's deforestation burden.

http://www.legacyfound.org/