[Stoves] [Ethos] John's TEDx talk

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Wed May 2 10:21:46 CDT 2012

Laurie,
Always wondered where that design came from. Seemed to just turn up in nairobi in the early 80's! I ran across ot again in Bamaco Mali in early 2000, and again in Uganda by 2003
Did you know of a one hugh Allen who developed the pug mill and form for larger scale production of it?
Seem to have really taken off widely: Congradulations !
One desigh issue we always had in using it with briquettes though was the tendency for the ashes to bridge the bottom holes. These were formed by punching trur the clay body from inside, which generated a taper, downward shape to these  holes themselves. As they provide the main air supply to the stove, clogging of them greatly reduced the efficiency of the ordinary (relatively high ash producing) ag residue blend of briquette in use.  I modified the holes vertical profile by reaming them out, from bottom, to create a "taper upward" shape which solved the ash bridging problem on our test case but that was in Lushoto in Tanzania in 2007. Have you ever had issues with ash clogging yourself and if so how did you resolve it ?
Kind regards,
Richard Stanley
Www.legacyfound.org

--------