[Stoves] Improved Dung Burning Stove for Peru?

Ann Stromberg Ann_Stromberg at pitzer.edu
Sat May 19 12:56:05 CDT 2012

I am a member of the Board of Directors of a small foundation that works in
the highlands of southern Peru.  One of our projects is improved stoves, and
we are seeking to improve our model.    I have corresponded with Nancy
Sanford Hughes and she suggested that I contact you:   the Stove Team
International's Ecocina burns wood, and our communities are above the tree
line and wood/charcoal are not realistic fuel options.  Families in our
communities depend on cow dung for fuel.  The families like to cook indoors
for the most part (traditionally in small unventilated kitchens separate
from other living areas).  To date we have been working with an adobe model
(families make their own adobes) with a stovepipe.  A problem that we have
encountered in corrosion of the stovepipes, sometimes within a year of
installation.

Might you have any recommendations/experience regarding stovepipes that
might be retrofitted for our stove?

In the longer term,  we would also consider other models.  I am wondering if
you would be able to direct us to a tested model of a household-level
"improved stove" that burns dung and has been shown to have a significant
positive effect in improvement of the indoor air quality.  The stove must
function at 13,000-14,000 feet altitude and survive an annual season of
heavy rain as well as lengthy dry season.

Any advice or leads that you can provide for us will be MUCH appreciated.
Thank you so much for taking time to write.   I'd be happy to call you if
that's easier for you.

Ann Stromberg, Ph.D., M.P.H.

for The Chijnaya Foundation

www.chijnayafoundation.org