[Stoves] Rice hull gasifier milling rice

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:30:58 CDT 2012

Will do. My son Jeremy got some nice photos as well. The thing I liked is that the gas plant looks quite modern.

It has a series of squat tanks with manometers on the side which I presume are filled with water and the gas is bubbled through them sequentially. Yes?

I met one of the partners last night and he told me the engine was 135 KW. Their charge per ton is amazingly low - about $60 for clean unpolished rice. This is no doubt reflecting the fact they don't pay much for motive power.

I have also seen several engine and cattle drawn stove vending 'trucks' absolutely loaded with stoves. There are perhaps 6 types available for charcoal and wood. The $4 stove lasts about 9 months and the $10 about 2 years. There are different sizes but the upper limit is not so big. Above they use fixed stoves. Pots run up to 80-100 litres.

Last night I made and demonstrated an ingiting cone as discussed previously here. The demonstration of low smoke ignition and the ability to burn very small amounts at a high heat has already sparked discussion of how to introduce this in the form of a permanent feature of the stove.

All the charcoal stoves are metal-clad terracotta. No one seems to be processing the char fines into briquettes. Lots of room for improvement.