[Stoves] Smoke-free biomass pellet fueled stove

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 16:52:13 CST 2012

Dear Tom and All

Penn was I think looking at the Literature if I remember correctly and I can't definitely say he did his own evaluations. I am referring to the cited numbers. I am pretty sure it is in his Masters thesis.

I agree completely with what you say about the TLUD char. I have seen stoves that do a good job of self-extinguishing in terms of smoke though the char burn continues so the extinguishing time will change the LHV. An open fire has everything from torrefied wood to black carbonaceous ash.

I was concerned about the calculation methods (as usual) when I saw a rice hull gasifier being tested and the char heat value was given as 29.5 MJ/kg which is the default value in the WBT 4.1.2. That is clearly in error as the true value is somewhere near 12.

When the amount of char is small the result is not much affected but we are seeing so many stoves that can't burn the char that the miscalculation is starting to affect policy making. Over-reporting the char heat content (which is almost always a wild-assed guess (WAG) ) reports an inflated net heat transfer efficiency, if the quantity is significant, by a LOT. Let's talk 40 to 80% error. This is intolerable.

This error is in addition to the fuel consumption miscalculation referred to earlier. One could say it is a concurrent not a concatenated error as it affects the net heat transfer number not the overall efficiency if the latter is calculated correctly. It is still highly misleading for rice hull gasifiers.

I think it can be corrected. Perhaps Jim J has already done so.