[Stoves] Why biomass cook stoves are very expensive?

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 04:26:56 CST 2012

[Default] On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 18:38:11 +0700,mnurhuda at ub.ac.id wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>It is an irony that biomass cook stoves, that are intended for people in
>so-called third countries and low level income families, are indeed sold
>at extremely high price. Lets look at www.alibaba.com or any website
>selling biomass stove, the stove prices are mostly higher than US$ 30,-
>
>Anybody can explain?

I can't explain except to say the free market doesn't really exist and
nothing takes account of all the externalities as we humans expand
into all the available niches.

Economic systems are just the way humans co-operate and compete in
making use of all the available resources the planet allows.

If the market price is too high the commerce fails, if there is a need
then the voluntary sector can contribute, else the poor people as ever
do without.

We get quite a lot of posts to the list from non members and normally
they get discarded but I got the link below from one, not a lot new
and self promoting but I thought some here may be interested.

http://www.differgroup.com/analysis/

AJH