[Stoves] Cost of stoves

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 9 09:28:14 CST 2012

On 11/09/2012 08:52 AM, Paul Anderson wrote:
> Dear David and Crispin,
>
> And where the wages are less than $100 per month (and some of that
> money is for a reasonable meal during the work day), the labor
> component is almost negligible compared to the costs of new (not
> scrap) sheet metal.
>
> When the stove is ceramic/fired clay, the clay can be cheap but there
> are the costs of firing it and then transporting it.   So the labor
> still adds only a relatively low amount to the stove.
>
> Can these low-income workers (yes, they have a job and they are better
> off than those without any work) afford a $25 stove?   That would be a
> week of wages.
>
> Would any of us who live in the affluent societies pay one week of
> wages for a stove?   That might depend on your income!!!    And we
> have discretionary money far above the money needed for food and lodging.
>
> Paul

In the USA, many stoves cost between $400 and $2,000 (US dollars), and
the mean seems to be about $1,000.  That implies $1,500 in income before
taxes.  Which implies an average income of $78,000 annually or $6,500
per month if a stove is one week's income.  While I feel this is high,
it is pretty close, 1 week's income for a stove is not unbelievable.

Yes, those of us who live in an affluent society DO pay 1 week's income
for a stove, and then pay a fraction of that every month for fuel or
energy to run it.

Dave  8{)

--

/"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look
at the men he has around him."/

/
NOTE TO ALL:

When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for
all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding
history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and
others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the
world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses
and viruses from being propagated. /

THANK YOU!