[Stoves] Cost of stoves

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 16:38:43 CST 2012

Dear All,

Let's take a moment and consider that the heat transfer side of cooking can
be just as important as the combustion side (in any kind of stove). Great
heat transfer means that the food cooks faster using less fuel. Great
combustion efficiency means we produce less smoke, gases, etc. It takes
both to make a great stove, right?

For example. if the pot is 4" above the heat source the water probably
won't boil, etc.

Usually great heat transfer costs less money because lower grade refractory
materials can be used and we're just changing the shape of the stove
top/pot bottom interface. If we can expose the side of the pot to the hot
gases using appropriately sized channel gaps, that's great too.

And system efficiency (how much fuel is used to cook) is usually more
improved by great heat transfer than great combustion efficiency.

Best,

Dean