[Stoves] Cost of Stoves

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 11 08:22:06 CST 2012

Dear Philip and David and all,

Two excellent comments came in via the "Stoves Digest" with a different
Subject line, so I have pasted them below.

Yes, people have aspirations, and most (all?) would like to have
something with the features that Philip mentioned.   And some would even
pay 3 to 5 months wages, especially if credit can be obtained (from fuel
sellers, etc).   But that is a sub-set of the stove purchasers.

It is like Americans with reasonable incomes purchasing a new or
multi-featured automobile for US$20,000.   (or more!!, and with low
mileage per gallon).  (That is low km per liter for those who like to
see both measurement systems presented.  ;-)) ;-)   )    Some of them
cannot really afford it, but it gives them more than just
transportation.   Prestige, extra space, can be used to transport
neighbors when the weather is bad, better music inside, attracts the
young ladies, etc.   I have no problem with that.   But thank goodness
for the used-car businesses and for the economical cars and for motor
cycles and even bicycles and public transport.

The point is, some people aspire but realistically cannot attain.

And if those people expect that their country or fellow citizens or
people from overseas are going to resolve the problems of finances and
access to such vehicles (or such nice stoves), they will be
disappointed.   Wealthy people and wealthy nations do not help poor
people (in their own country or overseas) attain the top of the line
products.   The affluent barely help them attain the mediocre or poor
quality (but improved) vehicles or stoves or whatever else.    Please
remember, the low-income people who need the benefits of the truly
improved cookstoves often also face problems of water quality or access,
health care, etc. etc. etc.

Therefore, the "ten dollar stove" ($10 stove) really is important.   And
if the combustion device is that inexpensive and uses less fuel and
lower cost fuel, and if it allows them to later move up to a $20 stove
STRUCTURE (while using the same combustion device), the fringe benefits
of better appearance and two pots at one time and other features can be
attained by those who choose whichever features.

Meanwhile, the $10 stove can help reduce or reverse deforestation (which
is of little interest to most of the very poor people who live from day
to day or month to month and seldom think about decade to decade.)
National leaders and concerned citizens do (and should) think about
decade to decade, (and even for future centuries, but that is evidently
not the case).

So, I am delighted when I see TLUD stoves that are beautiful,
multi-burner, multi-purpose objects of high esteem.   But that is not
how the main impact will occur.   I will work on $50 stoves also with a
focus on the TLUD combustion capabilities and controls, but I do not
work on costly stove structures associated with high priced stoves with
baking ovens etc etc.  I will help those who do that work, because it
does have value (and will probably earn more money than will come from
the combustion devices).

Paul

Philip Lloyd wrote:
> Dear Paul, Dave and others who have contributed to this interesting
> discussion
>
> I found extremely poor people in South Africa, <$100 per household per month
> (mainly State assistance), keen to pay $500 and upwards for a coal-burning
> stove (well, actually, originally designed as a wood-burning stove but
> dragged into use for coal).  Cast iron, fireclay lined, with a chimney and
> dampers to control air flow, three or four spaces for pots closed with cast
> iron circles when not in use, and an oven for baking. Many had recently come
> from rural farms to town, and were living in temporary homes built of sheet
> iron and found materials. The stove was their first major investment, and
> there was a local microfinance system via the coal merchants enabling them
> to purchase it.
>
> They were not interested in cheap cookstoves!  The $500+ stove had come to
> represent social status, as well as meeting a wide variety of household
> needs, cooking, water heating, garbage disposal, space heating, and a social
> focus to the home that even neighbours could come and share.  There was a
> flourishing trade in second-hand stoves and in spare parts, particularly
> grates and chimney pieces. Some people had small businesses baking bread for
> stoveless neighbours, or making jam, or even running play schools on really
> cold winter days when other homes were really too cold for infants.
>
> I think the lesson is clear - if you just focus on cooking, you may be
> missing something. The first criterion must be to meet people's needs, and
> it may be much more than cooking. Some stove designs even miss the essential
> demand for simmering, so they fail the very first test of acceptability -
> you can't even use them for cooking. Yes, cost is a factor, but not
> necessarily a driver.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Best regards to all
>
> Philip Lloyd