[Stoves] Smoke-free biomass pellet fueled stove

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 05:53:19 CST 2012

[Default] On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 20:01:02 -0600,Paul Anderson
<psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:

>Crispin and all,
>
>I think that the char being created in a TLUD  is not hot enough to
>cause the water gas reaction.

I take this view too, and even if it were hot enough the endothermy of
the reaction would limit it.

If this phenomena is important to us, e.g we want to maximise char
retention, then it's worth knowing the optimum fuel moisture content.
Also I had found there was a limit to the size of particle that could
be thoroughly charred. I found I could not successfully scale up a
tlud device to chare 150mm cross section longs which I hade carefully
dried. What I never got round to trying, as I lost the farm workshop
due to redevelopment, was seeing if such logs would char if embedded
in smaller material.

I no longer have a useful tlud device that will consistently produce
measurable results but it may be worth doing some runs with oven dried
wood chips which have been then re wetted with the correct amount of
water to give samples of 0-25%mc wwb and weigh the char produced when
lit with the same amount of liquid fuel. I would especially like to
see the results when fed with primary air maintained at a constant
flow.

AJH