[Stoves] Patio Heater Conversion was Re: [biochar] TLUD fired BBQs & pizza oven

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 20 07:15:33 CST 2012

Dear Erich and Hans and all,    and jss

Use of a TLUD for a patio heater is very interesting, and raises many
questions.   I hope that this new thread /Subject can stick to this
topic and that ...

1.   GOAL:    collectively we can devise a practical patio heater
product with a TLUD as the heat source.

2.  But there are at least 2 Listservs involved, so it could easily
split.   I will discuss with my webmaster James about having summary
information placed on my   www.drtlud.com website.   (I do not want to
have the interactive discussions there in the comments sections.)

3.  The summary of what has already been communicated is in Erich's
comments and Hans' photos (we will want to pull out the 4 photos that
are numbers    0186, 0187, 0188, and 0192 .)

On 11/19/2012 8:56 PM, Erich Knight wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> The Patio heater conversion is in the same photo stream as the Weber
> Kettle TLUD, that Hans posted.
> I had only posted the picture of the stainless steel patio heater
> previously, not the exploded view with the stainless steel cook pot
> and wire mesh & chimney replacing the propane gas cylinder.
> So now I am keeping an eye out for a damaged Patio heater. I imagine
> that the photo showing 500°C is considerably more than what the
> propane puts out.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheap-thrillz/8034974018/in/set-72157629434981297/
>
> Erich
Also important is the address for Hans
>> Hans Erken <hans at earthcare.com.au <mailto:hans at earthcare.com.au>>

               Some questions:
4.  Is there a door for inserting and removing the TLUD?

5.   How well does it actually heat?  And in comparison with the LPG /
Propane versions that have more radiant heating, I believe.

6.   Costs and durability, etc.

I hope that some readers and their friends will study this.    If
interested, please speak up so that we can identify who could be looking
into this topic.        (I am headed to Uganda on Sunday for 3 weeks and
I will not be able to do much except to read the messages and send some
comments.)

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072