[Stoves] Patio Heater Conversion was Re: [biochar] TLUD fired BBQs & pizza oven

Hans Erken hans at earthcare.com.au
Tue Nov 20 19:21:09 CST 2012

Hi Paul,

I don’t think this patio heater idea is something worth perusing.   Most of
the heat produced rises to the heavens and a portion is radiated downward to
provide some warmth.  A much better way to heat people outdoors is having
the heater as low as possible.  A small TLUD positioned under a table, if
the is sufficient leg room, provides much more efficient heating.  I
collected the patio heaters from the recycle yard for their components,
particularly the stainless steel barrel housings and the hood.  I will be
making dual-walled, insulated barrels with them to replace my 100 Lt drums.
They will look better and last longer.  I think the hoods are also useful to
direct smoke and exhaust gases into a flue and away.

Even though my patio heater mod reached respectable temperatures, because of
the greater the chimney height, the reactor can which would normally burn
for an hour, lasted 40 mins or so.

Hans