[Stoves] UB-03.1 Gasifier

mnurhuda at ub.ac.id mnurhuda at ub.ac.id
Fri Nov 23 02:58:39 CST 2012

Dear Mr. Crispin,

Thank for the attention looking at the Kopernik website. I am currently in
Jakarta together with Mrs. Utami attenting a workshop, "Gender and biomass
energy". In short, designing stove must consider gender factor,
particularly women, since women are mostly standing in front of stove.
Then, this afternoon, we will be discussing more on the standardization of
biomass stoves performance.

The UB-03.1 is another version of our biomass UB-03 stove. It should be
better than the cylindrical version, since it has four pillars, which
avoid user  from touching hot parts of stove. However, due to technical
problem, at the moment we stop the production of the UB-03.1, until the
problem is resolved. This technical problem is how to make the connections
between the stove components, in order fire can be extinguished without
emitting too much smokes. It is actually the matter of dyes,  and of
money, of course.

The UB-03.1 distributed in East Flores are still used by people. Even
UB-03.1 were made from low cost metal plats, but it can last at least,
until recently, already 8 months. However, in Lombok, the stove lifetimes
were merely less then 4 months. The lifetime of the stoves certainly
depend on users. In East Flores, the stoves can last longer, since the
people use the stove with care, according to the manual procedure, while
in Lombok were not. In some cases, people shut down the fire by dropping
water on fire. It is why a system that can extinguish fire is very
important.

I feel sorry that I still do not send the stoves to Dian Desa.

Kind regards
M. Nurhuda