[Stoves] How to convert thermal efficiency into fuel savings figures

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Oct 10 13:34:13 CDT 2012

Dear Paul

That is a very good question!

On the one hand, Efficiency, Waste, and Fuel Savings are very simple....  If
a system is say 40% efficient, then it has 60% waste. However, a "Savings
Claim" is meaningless without a comparative figure. If a stove of 40%
efficiency was being compared with a stove of 30% Efficiency, then the
"Improved Stove" is 25% more efficient:
(40%-30%)/40% = 10/40 = 25%

On the other hand, they can get very complicated. In the case of stoves,
their stated Efficiency can range from totally meaningless, to "ballpark" to
"helpful" to " correct." To make a "Meaningful Statement of Efficiency", one
must clearly define what heat is useful and what heat is truly wasted.

For example, one can have a that stove "cooks" at virtually 100% Efficiency.
Consider a case where I have a heating stove, on which I place a pot of
water and make a pot of tea and makes a pan of biscuits... the incremental
addition of wood that I would have to burn to keep my cabin at a constant
temperature, whether I cooked or not, would be virtually identical. More
specifically, while the cooking process would absorb some heat from the
stove, it would release it back into the living space when the tea and
biscuits cooled.

Here is another example.... Say I have a pound of wood containing 8,600 BTU,
and I put it in a TLUD Stove, because I want to make a batch of biochar,
having an expected yield of 20% biochar with a heating value of say 13,000
BTU/Lb, or with "contained energy" of 2,600 BTU. From the pyrolysis gases, I
would have roughly 6,000 BTU of "free" energy, in that if I didn't use it,
it would be lost as warm air. I could thus "cook for nothing" if the fuel
cost was written off against the cost of the charcoal intended for biochar.
Or, I could "share the fuel cost with the energy contained in the pyrolysis
gases. I could also decide to have the biochar carry the "process losses"
associated with reactor shell losses, or perhaps I could decide to share the
shell losses with the "free energy" in the pyrolysis gases.

To make a "Defendable Savings Claim", one must really do a "comparative
energy balance" and clearly show what fraction of the input energy is truly
helpful and useful, compared to that which is truly wasted and lost.

Best wishes,

Kevin