[Stoves] How to convert thermal efficiency into fuel savings figures

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Oct 11 08:58:49 CDT 2012

Stovers,

Thank you Kevin and Andrew for your replies.

Using Andrew's example below, 55% divided by 15% = 3.7 times the amount
of fuel for the 3-stone fire versus the better one at 55% efficiency.

Or     15 divided by 55 =  .27 or only 27% of the fuel is used for the
55% TE stove compared to the referenced 15% TE 3-stove fire.

These are reciprocals.      3.7 x .27 = 1.00       (precisely, it is
3.66666...   x    0.2727... = 1.000000 )

So the better stove saves 73% of the fuel in this example.

FIRST question:    Is this correct?   Anyone else able to confirm or
refute this?

SECOND question:    If it is correct, then two small tables (A: TE from
0% to 100% in 5% increments on each axis -- one for each of the stoves
being compared;   and B:   Fuel Savings from 0 to 100%  on each axis)
and or an applicable formula or both could be provided for everyone to
use.    And would that table / formula be useful?      It would be
useful to me and to the person who originally asked me about this.  The
user could quickly look up to see values that can be compared.

REQUEST:   If yes to both questions, would someone (or a small group)
please volunteer to prepare a one-page explanation plus table plus formula?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul S. Anderson, PhD  aka "Dr TLUD"
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu   Skype: paultlud  Phone: +1-309-452-7072