[Stoves] Burning Char

Robert Lerner bajarob at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 15:26:26 CDT 2012

Hi Frank,

I cannot answer to the "why" of spontaneous combustion of char, except to say that yours is not a unique experience. On two separate occasions in Costa Rica we experienced spontaneous combustion of bagged biochar, once with moderate damage to a transport vehicle (fortunately, smoke signals were detected before total disaster reigned).

I searched the literature and found (apart from apocryphal tales of "human spontaneous combustion") mostly denials of char's auto-combustability. I also learned that US interstate transport regulations require fireproof containment of char.

Point is, it will likely happen again (whether or not we can divine the "why"). Appropriate precaution advised.

Rob Lerner